Face labels

franky68

I was just playing with Picassa again. And quite frankly the only feature I like about it is the face recognition and face labeling.

In case you are not familar with this: face labeling allows you to define an (rectangular) area on an image and assign it with a name of a person. Now if you move the mouse over a face in an image the name of the person can be shown. This is something that is not unique to Picassa but there are other DAM applications and Webalbums that support face labeling.

Now that brings me to a feature request: It would be great if Daminion would support face labels. To do this (apart from the GUI changes) only the "People_File" table would need four additional fields to define the area for the face.

I understand that the changes in the GUI would be more complex so this might not be a feature thats going to be added soon.

Another nice feature might be an option to import the face tags from Picassa.

Actually the support from Picassa for facetags is pretty limited as it does not write the information into the files or sidecars but keeps them into its own "database" so it is by default not available to other applications. So having Daminion import the tags and write them into the Metadata would be great.

Kind regards

Frank

In this case you need to import the same pictures to both applications Picasa and Daminion. Although it might be possible if we'll implement "Watching Folders" features.

I guess it will be better do not tie Image Rects with just Faces (Peoples). In general any areas on a picture might be assigned to any tag. Plus if we'll implement reading Picasa tags we need to track all the Picasa updates (new versions) for changes in its database structure. It will be better to implement in the future our own Face detection feature based on some third-party Face Detection SDK.

The prospect of beeing able to create rects for virtually any tag sounds great :) Is this feature already planned for 1.0?

Regarding the import from Picassa: I mainly was looking for a way to easily tag lots of images with as little work as possible. No matter what you think about Picassa otherwise, the face recognition is pretty good. So I thought utilizing it as a kind of "external plugin" for Daminion would be nice.

I didnt/wouldnt expect Daminion to have its own face detection. I imagion the SDKs are pretty steep and the only SDK I personally know because its used in another DAM s far from beeing usable. But of course having its own face recog would be way more elegant. I guess this wont be implemented any time soon tho?

The prospect of beeing able to create rects for virtually any tag sounds great :) Is this feature already planned for 1.0?

Why no. Once other "must-have" functionality will be implemented we can consider adding this feature.

Regarding the import from Picassa: I mainly was looking for a way to easily tag lots of images with as little work as possible. No matter what you think about Picassa otherwise, the face recognition is pretty good. So I thought utilizing it as a kind of "external plugin" for Daminion would be nice.

I didnt/wouldnt expect Daminion to have its own face detection. I imagion the SDKs are pretty steep and the only SDK I personally know because its used in another DAM s far from beeing usable. But of course having its own face recog would be way more elegant. I guess this wont be implemented any time soon tho?

Media Management is our primary focus, so any feature that will improve it might be included to feature Daminion versions. Before using Picasa as an "external plugin" we'll test all the available Face Detection SDK offers on the market.