Some personal and general impressions about Daminion

_noel_

I want to report some personal and general impressions, which I gathered the last few days:

I have imported about 66000 images (1,3 TB) into Daminion, JPGs, DNGs (scanned slides and different Canon RAWs) and lot's of NEFs from different cameras (summing up years 1982 to 2013).

Working with Daminion is a boon respective usability, clarity and easy to use UI

Working with the tag tree (tagging, searching, filtering) is very intuitive, I feel "at home" at once :i-m_so_happy:

I've repaired a lot of tag mangling (UTF-8, Latin-1, german umlauts, partially caused by IDimager) quite easy.

With Daminion I have the feeling, all is at a glance.

some thing are capable of development:

- the performance (scrolling in the thumbs, scrolling in the viewer) is still an open construction zone. In my opinion the "rendering" phase of the viewer is a little bit anoying ...

- basal presentation features for images are missing: a simple slideshow, with smoth blending and configurable time would be enough for a first step ...

- the color management implementation is not yet completed (AdobeRGB, performance)

my very personal summary up to now: I think, Daminion will be my future DAM application, it is mostly stable, the tagging works fine and accurate, the info is correctly stored into the images - (thanks to ExifTool - very important in my opinion) and the future range of functions is promising.

It is a pleasure to work with Daminion :good:

regards

Eberhard

Thanks for the feedback and for the kind words! Locating & fixing memory leaks and performance optimizations are one of the future stages of Daminion development.

- the performance (scrolling in the thumbs, scrolling in the viewer) is still an open construction zone.

- What exactly in scrolling of thumbnails is slow? May be you mean the fact that you don't see thumbnails until you scroll the thumb area down?

In my opinion the "rendering" phase of the viewer is a little bit annoying ...

- With what media format rendering phase are more slower?

- Do you see the same rendering performance issues when viewing JPEG files with sRGB color profile and turned off the monitor profile?

- basal presentation features for images are missing: a simple slideshow, with smoth blending and configurable time would be enough for a first step ...

Added your vote to this feature.

- What exactly in scrolling of thumbnails is slow? May be you mean the fact that you don't see thumbnails until you scroll the thumb area down?

- With what media format rendering phase are more slower?

- Do you see the same rendering performance issues when viewing JPEG files with sRGB color profile and turned off the monitor profile?

Hmmm...

I think that the overall performance still needs work, but I thought you're optimizing it now, that's why I stopped to mention it.

I have turned off profiles, and I'm viewing only jpg files (usually 3000-4000px jpgs), and a "Rendering" text is there on every blurry image for about 1-2 seconds (sometimes more) before I can see the right image. It's slow. I can fast seek between the blurry images, it's really fast, but Daminion always render for 1-2 seconds the image when I stop, the same image if I stop twice on one, so there is no buffer at all.

If you don't experience this on your side, what can I do to get a faster viewer in Daminion? Daminion is using some VGA hardware support or something which I don't have? I have core2 quad q9300 2,5ghz cpu, 4 gb ram (32 bit win7 so 3,5 gb is usable), and a geforce 9400 gt vga, that's the weak link, my other card (gf9800) was malfunctioning last year, this is my emergency card, but I don't have problem with ps or other programs, so I didn't buy a new card yet.

I think that the overall performance still needs work, but I thought you're optimizing it now, that's why I stopped to mention it.

... I hope that too, because the "felt" UI performance will have a high influence to product success of "Daminion" !

I have turned off profiles, and I'm viewing only jpg files (usually 3000-4000px jpgs), and a "Rendering" text is there on every blurry image for about 1-2 seconds (sometimes more) before I can see the right image. It's slow. I can fast seek between the blurry images, it's really fast, but Daminion always render for 1-2 seconds the image when I stop, the same image if I stop twice on one, so there is no buffer at all.

Same behavior with my machine. There is not much caching regarding of thumbs or full screen views. If I scroll down a "view" with several hundred thumbs, it lasts several seconds (dependent on thumb size), until all thumbs of a page can be seen (scrolling backwards is fast until you change the view ...). In full screen view you have always wait 1-2 secs. to get a sharp image, sometimes several seconds ...

If you don't experience this on your side, what can I do to get a faster viewer in Daminion? Daminion is using some VGA hardware support or something which I don't have? I have core2 quad q9300 2,5ghz cpu, 4 gb ram (32 bit win7 so 3,5 gb is usable), and a geforce 9400 gt vga, that's the weak link, my other card (gf9800) was malfunctioning last year, this is my emergency card, but I don't have problem with ps or other programs, so I didn't buy a new card yet.

Good to hear that a heavy graphic adapter does not speed up thumb or full screen display:

I'm using a intel i7 3770 CPU 3,9 GHz system, Win7 / 64bit and a onboard Intel HD 4000 graphics

(Windows experience index 6,6)

Regards

Eberhard