Suggestion set#1: Keywords/GPS

andy@damroundup.com

Hi Murat and all - just figured I would check back in for the latest version and provide some feedback... love the progress you have made on the product for sure! Here are a few suggestions that I thought might be useful to consider:

1 - Keywords

I am very glad to see the hierarchical keywords added!! It works really well for my imported images from both Lightrrom and Idiamger so that is very cool. What I would love to see is the following:

a) the ability to create keyword sets and custom keyword "banks" to include in the Recently assigned Tags area (perhaps this is what the assign tag presets are for - but a more integrated approach for keywords into this area would be helpful?)

b) longer hierarchical keywords are truncated (as need be of course) but the box is pretty large so I perhaps filling more of the box with the hierarchy could be implemented?

c) the "search" line that is at the bottom of the Recently assigned tags area could be used for a variety of things - the ability to quickly type in a keyword and have the hits found from the main catalog list would be a real plus - I believe this is just a list of what is in the recently assigned area now?

d) a shortcut key (and header icon) to switch to assign mode from filter mode in the catalog tags panel (shortcut might already exist?)... also, I tried to find info but what does "automatically switch" mean in the gear dropdown panel?

2 - GPS

Kudos for you for adding this into the software - it is a major item that really should be a part of all DAM programs...really surprised other new software (ie: Photo Supreme) is not interested in this approach... in any event - here are some thoughts:

a) the first time opening the window - it opened very small - perhaps the default window size for all new windows could be made a bit larger?

b) the search box does not dynamically resize with the window and is very small even with a very large window.

c) would be nice to have the ability for the box to have a history - perhaps the last 10 locations entered available via a drop down?

d) the ability to save "favorite" locations for one click assigning would be nice - highlight a group of images, click the button (or key shortcut) and GPS is assigned (perhaps without even having to open the GPS window - a GPS icon in the toolbar with drop down favorites for quick assign?)

e) I like the preview window that appears when you click a marker on the map - perhaps add the ability to scroll through these images that are grouped there using the arrow keys?

f) Would love to see a GPS icon added to the thumbnail to indicate data exists

g) [b]Important[/b]: it does not appear that reverse geocode data is being applied to the images - if available, this is such a nice feature because then the location, city, state, country and subloc can automatically be applied.

h) ability to filter by GPS (to find images without/with GPS data) to add it to images (perhaps as another Catalog tag panel category).

More to come as I play more... love the speed and ease of use... very nicely done! Thx again - Andy.

1. d: I think we talked about this already, but +1

2. d, e, f, h: these features would be great, +1

2. g: +1, but I think that it would be best vice versa, if we have a full Place than get GPS automatically (of course sometimes there is no exact value, we need ranges which I requested earlier :p)

1. d: I think we talked about this already, but +1

2. d, e, f, h: these features would be great, +1

2. g: +1, but I think that it would be best vice versa, if we have a full Place than get GPS automatically (of course sometimes there is no exact value, we need ranges which I requested earlier :p)

Thx Mammut for reading/responding to these ideas. For 2g - this is basically how I did things in Idi and LR - I guess either way would be great but for sure what I think is great is:

a) drag/drop photo on MAP

- GPS coords are automatically added to the catalog/XMP

- reverse geo is done to find country/city/state/location/sublocation and added to catalog/XMP

- option to be added to determine overwrite status (if GPS/Location exists - do you wish to overwrite)

This basically completes the "circle" of GPS/location data exchange - having one without the other is ok - but having both is really useful and shouldn't be that difficult to add in hopefully as the API's exist to do this.

Thx again! - Andy.

1 - Keywords

I am very glad to see the hierarchical keywords added!! It works really well for my imported images from both Lightrrom and Idiamger so that is very cool. What I would love to see is the following:

a) the ability to create keyword sets and custom keyword "banks" to include in the Recently assigned Tags area (perhaps this is what the assign tag presets are for - but a more integrated approach for keywords into this area would be helpful?)

Yes. The "Assign tag presets" window is to create keyword sets and quickly assign them.

b) longer hierarchical keywords are truncated (as need be of course) but the box is pretty large so I perhaps filling more of the box with the hierarchy could be implemented?

Do you mean the right Properties panel?

c) the "search" line that is at the bottom of the Recently assigned tags area could be used for a variety of things - the ability to quickly type in a keyword and have the hits found from the main catalog list would be a real plus - I believe this is just a list of what is in the recently assigned area now?

d) a shortcut key (and header icon) to switch to assign mode from filter mode in the catalog tags panel (shortcut might already exist?)... also, I tried to find info but what does "automatically switch" mean in the gear dropdown panel?

Probably it should be named as "Automatically Switch to 'Assign Mode' after each Tag Assignment"? :mda:

a) the first time opening the window - it opened very small - perhaps the default window size for all new windows could be made a bit larger?

b) the search box does not dynamically resize with the window and is very small even with a very large window.

Will be fixed. Thanks!

c) would be nice to have the ability for the box to have a history - perhaps the last 10 locations entered available via a drop down?

d) the ability to save "favorite" locations for one click assigning would be nice - highlight a group of images, click the button (or key shortcut) and GPS is assigned (perhaps without even having to open the GPS window - a GPS icon in the toolbar with drop down favorites for quick assign?)

g) [b]Important[/b]: it does not appear that reverse geocode data is being applied to the images - if available, this is such a nice feature because then the location, city, state, country and subloc can automatically be applied.

"c" and "d" options are included into next series of improvements of the GPS Stamping feature. We plan the following implementation of the "d" option:

- each GPS marker can be assigned to a location (a place tag). And if you drag an image to a GPS marker - the appropriate place will be assigned to selected images and visa veree.

e) I like the preview window that appears when you click a marker on the map - perhaps add the ability to scroll through these images that are grouped there using the arrow keys?

But the marker should appears when you click on it!

You can scroll though the image by clicking on the right part of the image or by Mouse Wheel.

h) ability to filter by GPS (to find images without/with GPS data) to add it to images (perhaps as another Catalog tag panel category).

It will be easy to do if we implement a connection between Places and Location info.

Yes. The "Assign tag presets" window is to create keyword sets and quickly assign them.

Ok - figured as such

Do you mean the right Properties panel?

Actually - the truncation is in the recently assigned window as seen here:

dam_zps51b77f86.jpg

As you can see - the lines for the hierarchical keywords are truncated but the "button width" is rather large so more of the path should be able to fit. Not sure the best implementation of it (do you continue to show left/right and then middle truncate to fit?) but perhaps a bit more can display.. or since the rollover shows the full hierarchy - you can make the buttons smaller so more fit? Not sure...

Also, any thoughts about an alphabetical sort option - so newer assigns don't always jump to the top but an alpha sort can be maintained (this would be useful for those that tend to use the same keywords over and over - the recently assigned could be used as a keyword set that is on display).

Will be fixed. Thanks!

Great!

"c" and "d" options are included into next series of improvements of the GPS Stamping feature. We plan the following implementation of the "d" option:

- each GPS marker can be assigned to a location (a place tag). And if you drag an image to a GPS marker - the appropriate place will be assigned to selected images and visa veree.

that works great!

But the marker should appears when you click on it!

You can scroll though the image by clicking on the right part of the image or by Mouse Wheel.

Lol.. didn't see that!! Works great - exactly what I was looking for!!

It will be easy to do if we implement a connection between Places and Location info.

Thank you - that should wrap up my GPS ideas... love being able to have that info auto-flow.