1682 - 3296 camera tag - rescan folders vs. read tags from file

Uwe

Hello,

I've inserted the scanner information by ExifTool (Open with... action) and imported this information by "Read Tags from file". These items are not assigned to the already existing camera tag (Canon->CanoScan LiDE700F) - it creates a new tag on the root level of the camera tags.

Daminion_1682_camera_tag.jpg

Then I remove these items from the catalog and import them again by Resan Folders. Now the items are assigned to the already existing camera tag (Canon->CanoScan LiDE700F).

Why do "Read Tags from file" and "Rescan Folders" are working differently? Bug?

Regards, Uwe

Edited by Uwe
Update build in header line

• 11 months later...

Hello,

it's little bit more strange.

1. Both actions "Read tags from file" or "Rescan Folders" create a new camera tag even if the same is already existing.

2. BUT if I remove the previously modified items from the catalog AND use now "Rescan Folders" to import them again: now the already existing camera tag is used and not the wrong one created by the action #1 before.

The difference to my first description is the different way of working of the "Rescan Folders" depending if the items is already in the catalog or has to be imported by "Rescan Folders".

Regards, Uwe

• 8 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

not yet fixed in build 2233

I don't think that this is a specific problem. From my point of view it's a bug of the "Read tags from file" function. Why? - because if I import the same file by the Import workflow, the item is assigned to the already existing Tag: "Camera->Canon->CanoScan LiDE 700F" and doesn't create a new tag like: "Camera->CanoScan LiDE 700F".

It happens with all tags added by the "Open with..." ExifTool command: -Exif:Make="Canon" -Exif:Model="CanoScan LiDE 700F" -overwrite_original {Filename} independent from the Make and Model values.

I'll send a recorded video to Daria.

Regards, Uwe

PS, I've updated the table "mediaitems" in pgAdmin to get a right assignment but this should not be a global solution, e.g.
UPDATE mediaitems
    SET id_cameravendor = '6'
   WHERE id_cameravendor = '295'
     AND deleted = false

Edited by Uwe
Record a video and insert Update code for pgAdmin

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • Uwe changed the title to 1682 - 2457 camera tag - rescan folders vs. read tags from file
  • 4 weeks later...

Hello,

this bug exists now for more than 4 years! Here is a screenshot example of the current status for Canon 5D ... cameras. And there are more of such bugs. What is so difficult to check if an record is already existing in the database?

Daminion_2457_CameraVendorTable.jpg

Regards, Uwe 

• 4 months later...

This bug is still there in build 2599. Is it really difficult to use an unique tag of the Exif metadata to avoid four different tags for the same camera model, depending on the action that was used to create/update - Import/Rescan Folders/Read Tags from File...?

In the Daminion Mapping Rules: EXIF:Model

This is the right tag - please use it in any case!!! Please check the screenshot below - it's the same camera and this is the tag in all of the files:

20211126_144751.jpg

regards, Uwe

20211126_142409.jpg

Edited by Uwe
Update build 2599

• Uwe changed the title to 1682 - 2625 camera tag - rescan folders vs. read tags from file
  • Uwe changed the title to 1682 - 2632 camera tag - rescan folders vs. read tags from file
  • 1 year later...
  • Uwe changed the title to 1682 - 3116 camera tag - rescan folders vs. read tags from file
  • Uwe changed the title to 1682 - 3296 camera tag - rescan folders vs. read tags from file